Top ten things to do on Lake Como in the Italian Lakes courtesy of Bookings For You. If you also need accommodation in the Italian Lakes for your next holiday, do get in touch. Bookings For You have a range of villas and apartments in the Italian Lakes, all offering excellent standards of accommodation to suit a range of budgets, tastes and group size. We are sure we will have the perfect Italian Lakes villa to suit you.
1. Visit the lovely lakeside towns using the boat to zigzag your way across Lake Como. Not to be missed towns include Bellagio, Varenna, Lenno, Laglio, Cernobbio, Menaggio and Bellano.
2. If you’re feeling flush, enjoy a wonderful dinner or afternoon tea at the Villa d’Este, an opulent hotel overlooking Lake Como.
3. Spend the afternoon shopping in Como. The town has a great mix of designer boutiques and local shops offering great priced shoes, clothes and homewares.
4. Take a seaplane flight (or even enjoy a flying lesson). The Como Aero club offers full training courses to teach you how to fly a seaplane as well as giving you the opportunity to experience a test flight before enrolling.
5. Visit the gardens at Villa Carlotta. With over 8 hectares of gardens to stroll through, it’s worth spending at least a couple of hours here to appreciate the endless number of rare plants and species within the grounds as well as the monumental azaleas and rhododendrons.
6. Have dinner on the only island in the lake – Isola Comacina. Whilst much of the island is wild and uninhabited, it is home to a rather quirky and eccentric restaurant.
7. Experience the cable car ride that leaves from Argegno. Passengers go up 88 metres in just 4 minutes. It’s not for the faint hearted but the views from the top are certainly a great reward for those brave enough!
8. Head to the gardens at Villa del Balbianello. This villa has been used as a location on a number of films, among them ‘Star Wars: Attack of the Clones’ and, more recently in 2006, the James Bond film ‘Casino Royale.’ Choose to arrive in style by boat, arriving at the landing stage where there are steps to the garden, or park inland and enjoy the walk to the gardens.
9. Enjoy an active day on the lake trying your hand at some of the watersports on offer. There are opportunities to enjoy several different watersports on Lake Como including windsurfing, kitesurfing, sailing and canoeing.
10. Hire bikes for the day and enjoy one of the many mountain bike routes on offer around the lake.
For more information about what to see and do on Lake Como, please take a look at the our guide to 60 things to do on Lake Como courtesy of Bookings For You. And, do give us a call or get in touch if you would like any advice planning your Italian Lakes accommodation.